« Home | saying graces » | sonia sanchez gets arrested? » | 2 of today's moments » | why i don't live in harlem » | rejection thread (part 1) » | burn » | yeah, so this is me » | hood books » | the reason »

getting my mfa

in more or less a month, i will be entering brooklyn college to begin working on my mfa in poetry. i'm nervous about that. not because i think i can't handle it, but because i'm not sure how i can pay for it.

an mfa in poetry is not exactly a degree which pays for itself in a couple of years.

still, i want to get a masters in poetry because i think that, as a writer, i will benefit tremendously from the opportunity to read and workshop poetry intensively. i think it will be good for my writing career. and brooklyn college's program seems like it offers both a good grounding in both poetics and the writing craft.

so now i got to get ready: start buying books, etc. its gonna be tough to balance a fulltime job with a fulltime grad program. i guess my leisure reading time will be going out the window once again.

there are those who feel that training in creative writing bleeds the originality out of a writer. i don't believe that. there are those who believe that an mfa is a waste of money and time. lord, i hope not.

but mostly, i'm doing this because i want to.

so...anybody know of any good places to apply for scholarships? cuz a young black woman poet sure is broke...

About me

  • I'm call me aja
  • From nyc
  • 20something, black, woman, reader, writer, about to be a student again. i think i'd like to be heard (or read). child/grandchild of immigrant folk. yearning to travel. desirous of wisdom. a little bit ordinary, but working at being less so.
My profile