« Home | scenes of gentrification » | hhhhooootttt » | job poems » | kiddie pool » | throwbacks » | wordplay, wordfight, wordwork: my dictionary » | End-of-life Situation » | disfigurements » | footnotes to the life of an illegitimate child » | currently reading »

frustration is...

...being a girl of my skin tone tryin to find a good foundation at sephora. literally, the color selection ranges from 18 shades of peachy to one shade of dark*...buying one of the peachy ones makes me look like i have a colorism complex, buying the dark one makes me look like i'm in blackface* and the stuff is just too expensive to buy 2 colors and mix them.

there are lotsa colors in between. thank you.


* except for dior. dior only makes 6 shades of peachy. no dark.

**back in the heyday of vaudeville, black people had to wear blackface to get into the minstrel show. i'm not tryin to recall that era with my makeup.

Labels: , ,

About me

  • I'm call me aja
  • From nyc
  • 20something, black, woman, reader, writer, about to be a student again. i think i'd like to be heard (or read). child/grandchild of immigrant folk. yearning to travel. desirous of wisdom. a little bit ordinary, but working at being less so.
My profile